Primary school building with swimming pool
Newcastle primary school achieving impressive first year results on implementation of their new micro-turbine based CHP system heating the swimming pool and providing extra electrical power to the school.
This Primary School in Newcastle (UK) required a new heating system and additional power when the former oil-heated system needed replacement. With the swimming pool in use year-around and hot-water boilers for showers used frequently, this building has a pretty stable heat-demand throughout every season.
Due to the modernization of educational materials such as the increase of use of computers, the power demand has risen over the years. Additonal power supply was required. Reduction of the company carbon footprint (both CO2 and NOx emissions) is of high interest to all stakeholders, such as schoolmanagement, teachers and parents. The school wanted to set an example for the new generation.
The Use Case
- Location: Primary school in Newcastle, UK, installed late 2019.
- Together with the advisor and installer (Tomkinson Heating Ltd), the EnerTwin was selected to cover the base load both heat and power demand and complimented
- The challenge was initiated by replacement of a traditional condensing boiler due to age. Silent operation, as the unit would be operating in the proximity of the learning centre, was mandatory. Engine-based CHP systems were therefore found unsuitable. The building would also not allow for costly changes for low-temperature systems that are required by other systems such as heatpumps.
- Annual estimated running hours: 5500+ hrs
The role of the EnerTwin
The EnerTwin is separated from the main heating circuit by a plate heat exchanger, while the heat is used to heat the pool. Control is based on the temperature of the poolwater. Electricity is used in the school.
Factual results of the project
- Installation: Installation costs totaled at € 3200
- Annual running hours: 6500 hrs
- 2 additional boilers installed for peak-demand
- Reliable heating solution covering >80% of heatload
- Subventions have been granted
- Reduction of energybill achieved
- Climate goals have been achieved with CO₂ and NOₓ emissions reduced by 9,5 Tons a year
- Silent operation, inaudable for students and teachers
- Plug&Play installation with little impact on operations of the company
“Soft” results of the project, the client feedback:
- Sustainability goals for the company were considered an import step into the future of education. The EnerTwin provides a reliable and comfortable system for the swimming pool
- The results that surfaced after the first year of operation regarding CO2 reduction based on the runhours were impressive. Without buffervessel the unit still overachieves in runhours at 6500 hours per year.
- Management reported better than expected financial results due to the overshoot in runhours.
- The building-owner was positively surprised by the impact on the end-users and ease of implementation, considering application in other commercial real-estate in their portfolio.