Frequently asked questions about EnerTwin
- What does the EnerTwin cost?
The EnerTwin consumer price differs per country due to local regulations and taxes. Investment is generally lower than of a heat pump, while the electricity produced and its very low maintenance cost make the EnerTwin a much more economical product.
- Is EnerTwin available in my country?
The EnerTwin has been on the market since January 2018 and is available in most European countries. You can buy it either from certified installers or from your energy company. In the latter case, the energy company will appoint certified contractors. Please contact us through the form below or send us an e-mail to get in touch with an installer in your country.
- Are there leasing options?
The EnerTwin requires an investment and will pay for itself in the long run due to the production of electricity, efficiency and low maintenance costs. However, if the investment is not an option for you and you live in the Netherlands, you can find other solutions as leasing: read here for information
International customers: Please refer to your local dealer for information on leasing options for your EnerTwin
- Is EnerTwin available outside Europe?
Not at the moment, due to grid regulations. We are currently adapting the EnerTwin for the North American market.
Leave your contacts below to receive more information.
- Can I install the EnerTwin on my own?
No, you will need one of our certified installers. If you are an installer, you can contact us and arrange a training.
- What do I need apart from the EnerTwin itself, to make the system work?
The EnerTwin is a plug&play system that will replace any existing heating system without major adaptions. MTT advises to install a 1m3 buffer to enhance stability of the system as well as its efficiency. Connection to the grid is like the one of PV-installations (solar panels).
- What is the maintenance interval for the EnerTwin?
Scheduled maintenance is every 7500 operating hours or every two years, whichever comes first.
- What does the maintenance of the EnerTwin cost?
Expect 700-950 Euro per year based on 5.000 running hours per year. This will include labour and spare parts on both preventive and corrective maintenance. Labour rates will depend on country.
- How is the warranty, support and maintenance provided?
EnerTwin is delivered with a standard 2-years warranty. Your certified installers will provide you with a warranty and maintenance services. They are trained and fully supported by the EnerTwin service department.
- Are there any additional costs, apart from the EnerTwin and installation?
No, expect 6-8 manhours and some connection materials for installation in a standard situation. Please contact your dealer for a quote.
- EnerTwin is based on a microturbine. How reliable is this technology?
(Micro) Turbines are widely used in many industries like aerospace. It is a proven technology. Turbines are more reliable than traditional engines. The EnerTwin is mainly manifactured with off-the-shelve components, among which components from the German car industry and standard components used in the heating and installation industry. MTT is the first company in the world that successfully developed this size of turbine for domestic use.
The EnerTwin is CE-certified by KIWA for safety and complies to all European safety regulations.
- Can I see an operational EnerTwin in action somewhere?
Please contact MTT or your local installer or distributor for possibilities. You can leave your name and e-mail address in the form below.
- Will EnerTwin work on another grid than the standard European (230V/50Hz)?
Not yet but soon we'll have the EnerTwin version for 110V/60HZ for the North American market.
- Does EnerTwin work off-grid?
As a stand-alone set-up, EnerTwin needs a grid to start up. A combination with a UPS or an inverted system (PV, etc.) that generates a virtual grid will work smoothly.
- Can EnerTwin produce cold instead of heat?
No. The EnerTwin can be combined with a cooling device such as an absorption chiller to convert the heat output into cooling output.
- Does EnerTwin operate on hydrogen(-mixes)?
Yes, the existing type is now certified for 23% hydrogen mix. Models suitable for higher proportions of hydrogen will be released in the coming years.
- Does EnerTwin operate on LPG, biogas or biomethane?
Yes, the EnerTwin runs on those types of fuel provided they are fed to the system in a decent quality.
- Is EnerTwin noisy?
Microturbines emit only high frequency noise that can effectively be damped. Compared to alternative concepts, the EnerTwin has very
low noise emissions
EnerTwin CHP system generates electric power using a 4 kW microturbine. Driving a high-speed generator at 240.000 rpm, this micro-CHP system has a net electric efficiency of >16% (20% shaft power efficiency on the turbogenerator).
- The generator is coupled to the microturbine by a unique in-house developed compact rotor concept. Due to the recuperator, part load efficiency can be kept close to the design point maximum.
- The recuperator is an advanced heat exchanger recovering exhaust heat into the gas turbine working cycle, saving almost 50% of fuel compared to a system without a recuperator and providing a substantial increase in efficiency.
- A high-speed permanent magnet generator converts the mechanical power from the microturbine into electric power. The generator is fully integrated in the microturbine rotor system, avoiding costs and losses of additional bearings and couplings.
- The heat exchanger transfers heat from the microturbine exhaust to the micro-CHP heating system circuits.